What are the Party Hostels in San Francisco like?
San Francisco only has a true party hostel, the Green Tortoise Hostel. But in a city like San Francisco, you know the fun is out there, so you don’t need a crazy party hostel to have fun. We offer you here another two cool hostels with a really social and friendly atmosphere, and where many solo backpackers hang out and get to know each other before going out to party. All the 3 handpicked hostels on the list offer also regular activities like tours, pub crawls and nights out to make sure guests have a good time and get to discover the incredible nightlife that San Francisco has to offer.
- Best Hostels in San Francisco for partying: Green Tortoise Hostel San Francisco
- Best hostels in San Francisco for solo travellers: HI San Francisco Downtown Hostel
- Party hostel style: Party hostel
- Hostel craziness level: Fairly crazy
- Parties on-site: Party onsite
- Hostel organised Pub Crawls: Yes
Best Area To Stay in San Francisco for Nightlife
If you are a party lover then you better visit the North Beach. The area is only minutes away from Chinatown and Little Italy. It’s the perfect area to go wild and enjoy the city’s nightlife at cool bars, pubs, and clubs or even have a relaxing night at little unique lounges with live music performances. It is also where San Francisco’s party hostel is located!
Best Party hostel in North Beach: Green Tortoise Hostel San Francisco
San Francisco Party Guide
In a huge city such as San Francisco you should expect both wild parties and laid-back nights at the city’s elegant lounges.
There are several party areas and neighbourhoods. The most famous ones for party lovers are North Beach, Mission and Downtown.
Basic information about nightlife in San Francisco:
- Pubs and clubs closing times:
- Bars and pubs: Monday to Thursday until 00:00 am – Weekends at 02:00 am
- Clubs: Monday to Thursday until 02:00 am – Weekends at 03:00 am
- Average cover charge for clubs: from 20€ to 30€ (not incl. drink)
- Average price of a pint of beer: 7€
- Famous neighbourhoods for partying: North Beach, Mission, Downtown
- Famous events or parties: Chinese New Year's Parade (February), Pride Parade (June), Outside Lands - music festival (August)
San Francisco Nightlife Areas
As you can expect from a city as big as San Francisco, there are several party areas around the city. We can recommend you the three busiest and most famous for both tourists and locals. North Beach is one of the busiest, diverse and sophisticated areas of San Francisco with lively bars, pubs, and clubs. Mission is an area of vibrant colours and hipster vibes with spectacular live music clubs, craft cocktail lounges, pubs, and dive bars. Downtown is part of the financial district of San Francisco, and the stunning skyscrapers give an alternative vibe to the night scene of the city.
North Beach Nightlife
North Beach has several famous districts with unique nightlife experiences. Broadway is the most popular nightclub district of the area with blues clubs, strip clubs, nightclubs and jazz clubs. To relax and enjoy live music visit one of the prestigious bars at Grant Avenue.
- Most famous bars in the area
- Comstock Saloon is a vintage bar with live jazz music every night. It is the best choice for an elegant night and classic cocktails.
- Vesuvio Cafe is one of the best destinations for both locals and tourists and serves affordable drinks. The artistic decor of the cafe and Beat-era memorabilia is another plus for visitors.
Mission is the best area for hardcore party lovers. Valencia Street is the largest party zone in the entire city with eclectic live-music bars, pubs, and dance nightclubs.
- Most famous bars in the area.
- Double Dutch is the perfect place for dancing all night, cheap drinks and meeting new people while bar hopping.
- Public Works is a club for people by people. It arranges its events according to the people’s needs and has from disco nights to punk to yoga nights. So before going better check what’s in it for the night.
Downtown is the perfect area for rooftop bars. Union Square is your choice if you love dancing all night in nightclubs.
- Most famous bars in the area.
- Biscuits and Blues is a cosy bar offering southern style food and blues venues.
- Cityscape Lounge has excellent panoramic views of the city with delicious cocktails and finger food.
Dress code & age restriction for bars and clubs in San Francisco
The city of San Francisco, like most on the West Coast, is one of the more laid-back cities of the USA. So, there isn’t a particular dress code for nightlife. Dress up however you like and have the best time of your life.
On the other hand, it is a well-known fact that in the USA alcohol consumption is only allowed if you are 21 and up. If you are below the age of 21, you are allowed to enter bars and pubs that serve food, but you can’t sit at the bar or drink alcohol.